This year, it was just my long run of the week. I didn't have any crazy goals set for myself. Just wanted to stay in my endurance zone and have a good run. My time last year was 1:19 so I really just wanted to finish faster than that. I was guessing I'd come in around 1:15ish. Secretly, I was dying to get 1:10, but I thought that was only a dream.
I started off with Jake. After we ran the first mile at 8:46, I had to let him go. I knew there was no way I was going to finish well if I ran that fast. At about mile 3, I looked at my watch and realized that I actually had a shot at coming in under 1:10! What?! So my "use this race as just another run" mentality went out the window and I decided to kick it into high gear. I crossed the finish line at 1:08:40!!! I was thrilled. That time was beyond what I thought I was capable of and the best part was that I felt really good during and after it! Not to mention that it earns me the right to wear a yellow number next year! Woo hoo!!
Me, Jake and Jessi after the race. Congrats you guys! You both had awesome times! You are wicked fast, Jess! I'm so proud of you!!!!
I went first and made it!!! Can you believe it??? This was almost better than my Bloomsday time!
Sadly for her, Jessi did not make it. Wah wah! That Starbucks is going to taste soooooo good tomorrow!!! ;)
A couple of minutes after Jessi dropped me off, I got a phone call from her. She said, "You are not going to believe this but I just ran out of gas!" I almost peed my pants laughing. I mean, who does that? Not to mention the fact that this is not the first time this has happened to her! Hysterical! I'm laughing so hard right now just thinking about it. Eric and I headed to a gas station to fill up our little tank and then took it to Jessi who was literally a block away from my house. Being the true friend that I am, I made fun of her endlessly. She said that she was wishing I wasn't home and said that she would have bribed Eric by flashing him so that he wouldn't tell me just to spare her the embarrassment. Too bad I was there! I will never let her live this down!
What a fun day. After Jessi left, Eric and I were talking about how awesome our friendship is. I know I have written this a million times, but I am truly blessed to have my "person." I love that every time we are together, we always have so much fun and end up cracking up until our sides are sore at one thing or another!
13 comments:
Okay, I am laughing out loud right now at the thought of having to call you and tell you I ran out of gas. I knew endless razzing would accompany the generous help, so I had to buck up and bite the bullet. Even though you were blocks away, I seriously considered running to get gas. LOL! Little did I know you were going to take out the camera... FFFFFFFFFFFF!
And aim practice, that was crap. Obviously my shoulder is still hurting from my olympic diving practice and I'm not in my true form. You're lucky if there's not spit in your chai... I would if I thought I could actually aim and get it in the cup instead of my lap! HA HA!
As for Bloomsday (at least there was some redeeming part of the day), I am so proud of you. Not only do I love that when you saw that you could make it you went for it, but also that you felt good. It's so nice to be rewarded in that way for your training. I'd also like to point out to all those who don't know... you had a brutal week of training this week and you didn't do that on fresh legs, that's for sure. So, that makes it even more amazing! You earned that yellow girl!!!
I love that no matter what, when, where... we're always having a blast. I can always just be myself with you- no holds barred - that is such a gift to my life ;)
Way to "book" Tiff! OK I also looked up people with the last name Byrd and an Eric Byrd came in at 1:09 was that your Eric? I'm shocked if so! What a great day for the race. Glad you had such a great weekend!
Bebe
Awesome job on the race. An 11 minute PR, that rocks. It was great to see you after the race. All the training is truly paying off.
Good thing you could come to the rescue. This weekends trip could be very long if Jessi is incharge of filling up the vehicle. LOL.
Once again, way to run.
good job tiff!! i think the last time i ran bloomsday (circa 1992) my time was about 2 hours 30 minutes. not so sure i could go so fast these days...that is terrible i know!
okay have a good day and good job on the race!!!
love you,
Bubba
Way to go!!
Um, I absolutely LOVE your stories! You and Jessi are so funny and it's obvious that your friendship is unique!
Love ya!
I can't believe you omitted the whole "Jessi ran out of gas" part of the story when you gave me the Bloomsday recount today! That is freakin' hilarious :) Props to you for winning the tossing challenge...I bet that chai was delicious! Glad the day went so well for you! It ALMOST makes me want to do Bloomsday next year ;)
I am laughing at the throwing part. This is hilarious. Hope you enjoyed your starbucks.
Out of gas! Oh, yeah, she be COOL.
Sounds like the whole day was a panic.
Leni
SWEET! nice job girlie. How fun is that to start out a race and realize in the middle that you might just beat your "secret wish" time? That's really exciting.
Looks like it was a lot of fun too.....Congratulations! Now, maybe you'll actually get nervous for next year. Ya know, nerves aren't a bad thing.
WORD-
P. Smack
Tiff,
Your run rocked and I am very proud of you. Great job not getting stuck behind the ROTC guys this year. Maybe if you had they would have let you hold the flag...because you are so fast.
Good job lady!!!!
KR
Tiffany..
You and Jessi are like Laurel and Hardy, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis...oops...all before your time, but comic acts !!!
You're a hoot! Congrats on your great race results (and throwing results)!
Gos Bless!
Love and hugs!
Linda
Hi Tiffany, I'm so very proud of you. The race was great for you. I wished I was there to see you. Good Job Honey and keep up the good job Love you Mom Tell Jessi she better start looking at the gas gauge before its to late. That was kinda funny. Love you
I'm not sure if your life is blessed with so much comedy or you're just able to see the funny side of life. Either way, it's always entertaining to read your stories. Great work on the big improvement over last year. Having a race that exceeds your expectations is a rare experience. I think I'll go ride my bike up a hill to celebrate. I'm weird like that, but also inspired by those kinds of races.
Post a Comment