May 1, 2008

Hurt So Good

I had a tough track workout last night and today, I accidentally rubbed my right leg against my left shin and almost yelled out in pain. Ouch!!! Welcome to my world of shin splints. As horrible as they are, I am choosing to embrace them because at least there is something I can do about them, as opposed to other injuries I have had which have restricted me from training. However, if you've ever had shin splints, you know that rubbing them out is not a pleasant experience. I have tried to tell myself in the past that I can rub them myself. I say to myself, "Even though it hurts, I will still rub hard." Please. We all know I'm lying to myself.

So today I sent the dreaded email to Jessi asking her to come and torture me during recess. Jessi is the queen of rubbing shin splints. I think it's because she gets some sick pleasure out of watching me squirm and grip my chair handles while practicing lamas breathing.

Here we go!!! Timmers, the beginning of this is a the same feeling I get when Rog says, "You ready? Here we go!"

Look at Jessi's face in the picture below. She says it looks like she thinking, "I'm so sorry!" I think it looks more like, "HA HA HA!!!!" (that is a low, demon-like laugh)

By the end of this, I was sweating. Like, pitting out my shirt. At the very end, she just started reaming them to the point that I was on the verge of tears and I had to tear her hands away from me while struggling to breathe. The things we do for this sport...

As always, thanks for taking care of me, Jessi! I can't wait to return the favor and rub out the next knot you get in your back! ;)

5 comments:

Jen said...

:) I love the pictures!! What a good friend you have!!!!

Amy Byrd said...

A workout isn't a workout unless you hurt....right?? Feeling your pain babe, not really though....ouchh!
Bebe

Steve said...

As a shin splint sufferer myself that is hard core. These are something that are so difficult to get rid of. I was able to reduce them with a good pair of shoes, not sure how old yours are. I am pretty sure I would be avoiding any rubbing session especially after hearing you were about to tear up and Jessi is laughing. ICE ICE ICE.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain T-Byrd. Katey gets a diabolical look in her eye when I tell her my shins hurt...I usually just grab some ice and leave the house so she can't trap me on the couch and grab my shins to give them a "massage".
TT

jessithompson said...

This is a look of love by the way... a 'sorry i have to do this to you' look. Well, at least that is what I was feeling in my heart! LOL! XOXO