January 26, 2009

Marriage is About Compromise

As many of you know, I've tried time and time again to get Eric into the whole triathlon thing. I gave up over a year ago. It was a lost cause. That is, until a month ago. We were hanging out at Schweitzer and Natalie mentioned that she wanted to learn how to ski. Eric has wanted me to learn for quite some time, but I just had no desire. Natalie, being the genius that she is, made a deal with Eric. She suggested that if I take a ski lesson with her, Eric should come to one of our indoor bike rides. I laughed thinking Eric would never go for it. Surprisingly enough, he agreed, so I did too!

Don't get me wrong, I still had absolutely no desire to learn how to ski. I did, however, think this was a great test of my compromising ability. I mean, why shouldn't I try something I don't want to do if Eric is willing to do the same thing for me, right?

Long story short, we did it. I took a ski lesson with Trish and Natalie and Eric sweetly hung around to take pictures and give me a few pointers.



In return, Eric came to a ride with the crew. A HUGE thank you to Greg, who set Eric up with a bike, trainer, and bike shoes! This would never have happened without him!


So now the big question: Will we continue to do these new sports? Well, skiing was more fun than I thought it would be, however, parts of it were terrifying. But, the best part of it was how happy it made Eric. I guess I didn't realize how much he wanted me to do this. I would imagine it made him just as happy to see me as skis as it made me to see him on the bike. Which, by the way, he has already done with us two more times!

Thanks to Nat for striking this deal! It was really fun for Eric and I to share some of our passions with each other. :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, tell Eric way to go! Now if only we could get Tom signed on. One can only dream.

Katey

jessithompson said...

I love this... you guys are amazing. I love that the compromise means I get to see more of both of you! XOXO

Matt said...

Sounds like a great deal, I should have sent Jessie with ya, she has been wanting to take lessons but doesnt want to alone..

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, That was great you and Eric doing that for each other. I'm very proud of you both. You can really tell you guys love each other alot and that really makes me happy. Keep up that good work and you did really looked cute in the ski outfit. Love you Mom

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Tiffany!
I LOVE this post! It takes real wisdom to know the value of sharing each other's passions (and maybe finding a new one in your own life too!)

I was never a real art buff until I met Bert, but I have loved going to galleries with hima and art exhibits! In return, he has gone to countless movies of my choice, and learned to love c"hick flicks" as well!

I'm really happy for both of you!:)
Love Linda

Amy Byrd said...

What a perfect example of compromise. You guys are the best! Kudos to both of you.

Kim said...

I love it babe! You should probably start writing a book on the subject! I love to snow ski so thrilled you're giving it a go. It is such a fun family sport for a little later...

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Tiff,

I am so glad we made that deal with Eric, for so many reasons! I love that you two made and kept new commitments to each other and actually both enjoyed your choices, how rewarding! I'm also so happy that I was able to share a new experience with you skiing, I love it! Keep on setting an example for all us marrieds out here.

Love ya,

Nat

Trish said...

Tiff, I am so proud of both you AND Eric (but PLEASE don't tell him I think he is doing a good job!!) As I know, it is hard to try something new, but you both are willing to do so out of love. That is something I admire about you both. Thanks for letting me tag along on the ski lesson...it was an experience for sure! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Eric + Spandex= Complete TG