I've started up the Whitworth Master's Swims again. Even though it means getting up at 5am two days a week, I'm happy to do it because I think the coaching I get from Kevin is priceless. Plus, I know the crew (which now includes my hubby) is there waiting for me, so it's a little easier to get my tired butt out of bed.I've gotten many more compliments from Kevin this year than I did last year, which is good. But today, not so much. Kevin told us we had to do 6 50's descending, but the kicker was that 3 of the 50's had to be a stroke other than free style. Crap. Jessi, Steve and I agreed to do backstroke. I have never really been "taught" to do this stroke, mind you, so I knew Kevin wouldn't have many compliments to dole out after watching me. Sure enough, when I finished my second one, he said, "Tiff! You need to get your arms deeper! You're pulling shallow water! WEAK SAUCE!" Awesome. Thank goodness I'm not planning on back stroking any of my races this year!

After practice, Jessi, Steve and I worked some more on our flip turns. I wonder what it will be like when we finally perfect them in 10 years! We got out of the water and watched some of the collegiate swimmers to get a visual of what our form should look like. When we were talking to their coach, he told us our form should look different than what Kevin has been telling us. However, after further conversation, we realized the advice Kevin was giving us was basically because we suck at flip turns and aren't ready for collegiate advice yet. Once we figured that out, the collegiate coach just looked at us and goes, "Sorry guys."
This is pretty much the opposite of what I look like coming off the wall.

Not my best day of swimming, but the greatest part about it was that Jessi and I still left the pool in hysterics, laughing pretty hard at ourselves. In fact, we really laughed all the way through our showers too. If you're ever showering with Jessi, ask her to demonstrate what a flip turn should look like coming off the wall. It's pretty entertaining. Sorry you'll never get to see it, boys!
6 comments:
It's funny (but not surprising) that our posts are so similar, although I'm saving mine until tomorrow.
What I love most is that we keep going for these damn flip turns in spite of our suckiness. It's almost like a sick game at this point. I just think it's exciting that we're not looking quite so much like breaching whales coming off the wall due to oxygen deprivation. That's improvement if you ask me!
Laughing with you is the best... especially when it's at ourselves.
That is such a great picture of me doing my flip turn! I'm so awesome!
I think you're cooler though! Way to stick with it girl!
Let's just say that whatever you do at FIVE AM is amazing to me!! xoxo
I have marked it on my calendar, April 30, 2019. We are going to go to the pool and see if we can actually do a flip turn. Thanks for all the support.
I can't wait until we get to play in the deep end like the big kids:) Soon enough.
Hi Tiffany I have no doubt that all of you guys will get it down great. If not you will have a good time trying to do that. So good luck to you all. See you soon and Good luck tomorrow. Love you Lots MOm
Hi Tiffany!
I think you guys are just plain BRAVE for taking on flip turns. Sounds like an awesome challenge!
Fun post, as always! :)
Sending you hugs!
Love Linda
Post a Comment