June 16, 2009

Blue Lake 2009

This year, we headed down to Oregon on Friday so that we could get Steve there in time to do the sprint on Saturday. With Jessi, Roger, Emma, Steve, Eric and I, it was a bit of a full car, but it promised to be a fun ride.

I was more nervous for this race than I have been for any of the other races I've done this season combined. Not because I thought I might die, like last year, but because I really wanted to improve in all areas. For so long, I figured I'd be able to, but when the time to head down actually came, those feelings of doubt started to creep in: what if I'm not faster? Will I be able to pretend I'm still happy with my race? Is this too lofty of a goal to set?

We got into town pretty late and didn't waste too much time getting in bed. Steve's race started at 8 on Saturday which meant no sleeping in. It was fun to watch the sprint. I considered it training for Steve's first Ironman this weekend. :) We stood for quite a while at the bike mount watching people get on their bikes. Have you ever done that? It was one of the most painful experiences of my life! I can't count how many times I cringed as people almost fell over, hit other people, or landed hard on their seats in some pretty sensitive areas. I promised myself I was going to practice getting on my bike before my race after that.

Although it was fun to cheer for Steve, being at the race made me want to be done with mine so badly! After the race, we had some down time in the room and then took our bikes out for a quick spin. And yes, I practiced getting on my bike at least 10 times. Then it was back to the room again for another nap. This day was seriously never-ending. Finally, 6:00 rolled around and we headed to the Olive Garden for dinner with the crew.

After what was one of the longest days of my life, it was finally time for bed. I slept pretty crappy on Saturday night, but that was to be expected. We were out the door by 6am and on our way to the race site. Thank goodness!

The people who were body marking went a bit overboard. Seriously?! Is this really necessary?!


Faking being happy and feeling great in transition: "Racing triathlons is awesome! Everyone should do it!"


What I really feel like before a race starts: "This is stupid! Why the hell did I sign up for this?"

Heading down to the water with my hubby. This was his first olympic. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more nervous for him than he was!
I have come to the conclusion that I'm always going to wear my wet suit, a swim cap, and goggles. I can't imagine looking more glamorous!

This swim started in waves. While I was happy it wasn't a mass swim start (less chance of getting beat up in the water), my wave was second to last. That meant I had to watch 4 waves of people start before me. Not the best situation considering my nerves! I was also freezing from being in the water to warm up and then having to get out and wait for 15 minutes. Pretty sure I negated the warm up all together.

Stoked to FINALLY be in the water and starting the race!

The swim went really well. Some of the girls I was with started in an all out sprint, but I remembered what Kevin, my swim coach, had told me and settled in to a comfy pace for the first few minutes. After that, I focused on swimming straight and having a strong pull. I did not want to get out of the water thinking I could have pushed harder. I was pretty happy with the result.
Swim time last year: 26:53
Swim time this year: 24:12
Even though Eric and I swam in different waves, we ended up in transition together. It was great to see him and to feel a bit of relief knowing he made it through his first race with an open water swim and he looked great!

On to the bike. I didn't want to screw up my mount because I knew Steve was going to be there taking pictures, egging me on after my goal to get on my bike without making people cringe. Thankfully, I clipped right in and headed out for a nice, incredibly flat 40k ride.
Like I said, this bike course is ridiculously flat, and I love every second of it! Again, I kept asking myself if I thought I could push harder. I did not want to finish and say I still had some more to give. I'm proud of my effort on the bike and was happy with the end result.
Bike time last year: 1:16:23
Bike time this year: 1:13:55

Up next was the part I was a bit worried about. My foot was feeling great having not run in 2 weeks. I just hoped it would stay that way! I started out with some Awesome cheering from Emma and Trish. Those two definitely made me smile. Roger, who had already finished and won by a land slide, was out on the course cheering and ran with me for a while on his way out to run Jessi in. What a gift. I mean, how many people out there get to start their run with an amazing athlete running next to them giving them advice on how to start out and when to start digging deep? It was awesome and very helpful mentally.

As the miles started passing by, I was pretty happy with my pace and overjoyed that my foot wasn't bothering me. Once I reached the turn around, I figured I was home free...or not. Both of my IT bands started to hurt, bad. They were so tight it was hurting me to bend my knees. I thought about walking more than once, but again, I was not going to finish this race saying I could have pushed harder! Plus, if I kept running, it would be over faster!

I entered the park and reached my least favorite part of this run. It feels like it's over, but there is still quite a way to go. At that exact moment, there she was, my coach and my person. Seriously, she was heaven sent. As usual, she said all the right words, and even though I was dying, I picked up the pace and had a great finish. I really don't get how people survive without someone like Jessi in their lives.
Run time last year: 54:19
Run time this year: 53:24

Total time last year: 2:42:42
Total time this year: 2:36:02
I accomplished my goal! I ended up 10th in my age group out of 24 women.

Eric finished shortly after me. He did such an amazing job and I am so proud of him! It was incredible to celebrate with him. Last year at this time, I would have bet my life that he would never do a triathlon and look at him now!
As for the foot, it actually still feels pretty good. It's a bit sore, but nothing like I was expecting. I started my 6 weeks of no running yesterday. Here's to hoping it heals well!

Congrats to Roger, Jessi, Steve, Nat, Timmers, Matt, and Jessie who all had amazing races! It was so much fun to race with all of you! A big thank you to Steve, Trish, Emma, Andy, and Elise who were the best cheer squad ever!

Highlights of this trip include: getting the giggles with Jessi in the car, listening to some 80's station on Pandora and guessing the title and artist (Rog dominated this game), letting everyone know what it sounds like when doves cry, Emma's undying energy, He is died!, dropping Steve off to ride home from Medical Lake and screaming, "Ride, MF, Ride! We have guns!" at him, Little Wiggly, and Sneaky Snail. I seriously love traveling with this group!
On that note, I leave you with this...

15 comments:

Jen said...

Absolutely LOVED reading your race report!! I think I may love the last picture of Eric even more!!! :) Hilarious!

I am so happy you had a mostly pain free race and that Jessi was once again there to support you to the finish!!!

Love ya!!

Matt said...

Great race Tiffany! You put together a solid race! Looked very focused out there and pushing hard. Great work, keep it up!!! Was fun racing with you and Eric!

Unknown said...

Hilarious! Very, very nice work, Tiffany. What a great swim...I dream of swimming that fast. Those nerves turned into energy, obviously. Loved the last picture. Eric's one BAD penguin.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, waiting4mychauffeur. Um...who are you?

Laura and company said...

Doggone it. My kid's friend was still logged on to this computer. That last comment was me--Laura!

Carina said...

Yay! The blog post I've been waiting for...
Congrats on such a great race! Not only did you get to compete, but you pushed yourself the entire way to beat last year. Seriously you are such an inspiration!

Killer pictures. Total framers!

mmsnyder said...

You are INSANE! :) Seriously. That's amazing. I am hoping to get that time in Aug and its like 1/4 of the length you went! ha! :) Awesome job!!

Meg

PS- Wish it was my foot that was hurt so I didn't have to run... damn it!

Amy Byrd said...

I am just going to copy & paste my statements as I say the same thing every time you finsh another tri. Way to go lady, I am so proud of you. You always amaze me with your continued improvements. Congrats to Eric as well, so proud of him too. Can I get a copy of that last picture. LOVE IT!

Steve said...

It was awesome cheering you on out there. I definitely wish I could have suffered out there but the next best thing is being right there watching you push yourself.

I love the approach you took with the race and glad to see that you were able to reach not just the time goal but the goal of knowing you gave it your all. Damn proud of you.

The trip was an absolute blast. I wouldn't have wanted to do it with any other group.

Now lets get the foot healed up and get you back to some of the running I know you will miss.

PS: Those photos ROCK! Who was the awesome photographer?

jessithompson said...

I'm sorry, but I can hardly type because every time I look at that picture of Eric I am laughing my ass off. I better not laugh too loud or hard or I'll get in trouble with Emma ;).

I am so damn proud of you I can hardly stand it. That's an incredible improvement in time over last year in EVERY area. You are one fast B! I'm so glad you felt like this race was a success since you put so much hard work into training for it.

I can't believe you actually got to do this race with your hubby this time around. It's something else, eh? Eric is awesome beyond words and I love that you get to share this together. Rewind a year ago... no Tiffany doing a race with a stress fracture in her foot and Eric is barely at the race let alone IN THE RACE. WTF???

Running in with you was amazing for me too. I always get choked up watching you push yourself like that. I am so impressed with you as an athlete and a person.

Love you times a million, ho.

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey you are so great I can't believe you do this and now eric thats great. I wished I was there to see you both but maybe next year. You really do have great freineds that takes good care of you and I'm very happy about that so I don't worry to much. Dad and I are very proud of you and Eric love you both alot Mom

Anonymous said...

Way to go! It is amazing how hard you have worked and how you push yourself. You are an inspiration. GREAT JOB!

Love ya,
Katey

shelly said...

Good Job! You are amazing! Good job to Eric too!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Tiffany! Your dedication and humility and go-for-it spirit are inspiring and delightful. Goes to show you how training pays off, cutting many minutes off your last year's time. Way to represent your club, and to enjoy this new adventure in marriage -- duo-tris.

Hugs,
Tim Seppa

Kim said...

OH I LOVE THIS!! You and Eric and finishers too boot? Congrats! xoxo