April 7, 2013

Potty Training

This spring break was a momentous one. Although I can't say that it was a lot of fun, it was very successful because by the end of it, Aiden was potty trained! After more research on different methods than I care to admit to, I decided to go with the Three Day Method. The basics of it have you put your child in underwear on day one and never look back! Every time they start to relieve themselves, you rush them to the toilet. The reasoning behind it is to train the child what it feels like to have a full bladder so that by the end of the third day, they go to the toilet when they feel that way.


Our Supplies
Clorox wipes to clean the bathroom floor, Oxy Deep for the carpet, Cheerios for target practice, chocolate chips as rewards, and 7 of the 14 pairs of underwear I bought. 


I'm not sure who was more excited about the super hero underwear, Aiden or Daddy! ;)




I have to admit, after the first two days, I was feeling VERY defeated. Accident after accident started making me feel like maybe Aiden wasn't ready for this, although the method swears if the child is 22 months, they are ready. But, I was already 2 days deep, so I decided to go the full three days. On the third day, it was like everything just clicked. Although Aiden wasn't verbally saying he had to go pee-pee, he was grabbing himself every time he had to go and I was able to get him to the bathroom each time with no accidents. The reward of chocolate chips each time he went pee-pee didn't hurt either. :)

Since we were cooped up in the house for 3 days straight, daddy took us out to dinner to celebrate on the third day! Aiden even went pee-pee at the restaurant!

By the fourth day, Aiden was saying, "I need go pee-pee!" and getting to the toilet with ease! We were all so excited. Pooping is still a little bit of a struggle for Aiden. Although he will tell us every time he needs to poop, once we get in the bathroom and set him on the toilet, he starts saying, "I all done!" and wants off. Although it is a bit trying on our patience, if we are persistent and keep him in the bathroom, letting him get on and off the toilet as much as he wants, he will finally go at some point. Sometimes this is a 5 minute process, and sometimes it is more like 45 minutes. Baby steps!

Some of our pooping rewards have included chocolate milk and homemade banana ice cream. Yum!





Although we still put Aiden in a Pull-Up at nap time and through the night, he genrally wakes up dry after both! I am so proud of my little munchkin and of myself for getting over this hurdle! It was a lot of work, and those 3 days felt more like 3 years, but all of our hard work really paid off!

1 comment:

Montana Mama said...

good work mama. I am trying to build up the guts to try this.