I had decided that I was just going to have fun during this race. I had no goals but to beat my last year's time which was 1:16:12. I decided to shoot for 1:16:11. However, just before I left the house, I told Eric I was just going to push it hard as hell in every leg of the race. If I lost steam, oh well! I figured I would just see what my body was capable of.
Jessi picked me up and we were both feeling kind of blah about the whole thing. I almost felt like I did when I did a du last year. Just didn't really want to do it. Jessi tried to pump me up by bumping some music, but it didn't really do it for me.
I got to transition and got everything set up right away. I knew that if I didn't get right to it, I would just walk around and talk to people and leave it until the last minute. It was fun to see so many people from the club and it lifted my spirits.
Steve came up all excited because he was the first person to register in our age group...or so he thought! Boo yah! Nice try, Steve!
Wearing socks here was not an option, especially considering how much time I lost putting then on at Blue Lake. However, I STILL had some scabs from Iron Eagle which were refusing to go away, so I turned to my old friend, duct tape, once again!
Here I am during the swim. As you can see, I was in the lead. No one was even close to me! I passed Roger about 30 seconds in and he tried to draft me, but he just couldn't keep up!
Once we finally got started, I felt surprisingly strong. It's amazing what a little adrenaline will do. I had a great swim and came out of the water right along with Jessi and Steve. Katey guesses were were in the top 10 out of the water. Pretty cool.
I had kind of forgotten that this course is pretty curvy. I had to come out of aero in the first curve because I got a little freaked out and had to slow down. I set a new goal for myself at this point: stay in aero as much as possible around the curves. I'm still not incredibly comfortable on my bike taking curves or going down hill fast. I did a pretty good job achieving my goal though and didn't come out of aero again.
Katey, Erin and her crew and my mom and dad drove the bike course to do some cheering. It was so awesome to see them out there. Noah, Erin's son, had a huge smile on his face the whole time. He's pumped because he's doing the Tri Fusion Kids Tri next month. He kept waving at me like I was a movie star. It was so cute and definitely made me smile.
Prior to this race, I jokingly told Steve that he had to get first place in his age group in order to ride with us in the Ironfan van the next day. We went up to find my results together and I said, "Wouldn't it be funny if I actually did get 1st place in my age group?" This race is pretty unofficial, so it took me a while to figure it out, but after checking and then double checking, I realized that I actually had done it!!! It was actually more funny than anything just because of what I had told Steve. I must say, however, that after more than one 4th place AG finishes, it felt pretty freaking good to get that medal!
All in all, this turned out to be a great race, especially considering how unmotivated I was to do it!
A big thanks to my support crew!
My parents
My sister in law, Amy (who brought me those gorgeous flowers in the picture above).
Erin
And the 3 cutest cheerleaders out on the course!
Erin's son, Noah
My niece and nephew, Ravenna and Hudson
10 comments:
Great job. Sub 8's That freakin rocks. Sorry I couldn't hold up to my end of the bargain but 1st AG is awesome.
Way to push yourself even if though you were pretty unmotivated. You are definitely getting crazy fast on your run.
Keep up the hard work.
great post. glad to see you had lots of fans out there cheering you on too!!! good job with your race too...seems like you are blowing all last years times out of the water...literally! ;)
love you,
Bubba
OHHHHHH MY GOSH, TIFF!!!!!!! THat's soo wonderful, congrats on
1st!!!!!! And seriously, your running is out of control! GIT IT GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!
Have yourself a FAB weekend! Rest up!!! :)
Awesome Job and Congratulations on the AG win! You deserve it with all the hard work you've put out! Good to see you out there...well kinda...as you were kicking my a**! :) It is a fun race! Loves, A
I STILL am so impressed with your amazing performance at this race! 1st freakin place!?! You are one speedy lady! I love that you just decided to give it your all and that you surprised yourself beyond your wildest dreams :) I wish I could have been there to cheer you in person, but know I was totally sending you fast thoughts from the beach! Once again, you didn't think you could get 1st place in an AG, then you tried, and you did! You make me proud woman! XOXO
HONEY!! WOW! You are amazing! Congrats on a great race!
XO
k
Great job here, Tiff! And way to rock your time! It's always nice to see your face on race day. I love the friendly banter and the jokes about how rediculous things/we can be! By the way, did you see the ever-so-slightly drunk dude on the last portion of the ride? I thought he'd stumble in front of me for sure!
Keep up the good work, lady!
Nice race!!! No more 4th place for you with sub 8 minute miles. WOW!
When I first saw the picture of you swimming it looked like a shark's fin in the water, and I thought, "Man, that IS a tought course."
Seriously, you did an amazing job. All hail The Absolutely Amazing.
XXOO
Leni
Oops. That's The Absolutely Awesome. I get my heroes mixed up sometimes.
Also "tough" not "tought". Duh.
Leni
I love you and am so proud of you! I am thrilled that you even got out there to surprise yourself. You've come so far this year, but to no surprise, you've worked your ass off. I know how many sacrifices you've made... so these improvements and accomplishments MEAN something.
I love you times a million. You friggin' rock.
Post a Comment