July 2, 2008

Disneyland!


I think I better preface this post by saying that my family is obsessed with Disneyland. The first time we went, I was in 8th grade and we have been back 3 times since. Swansons, I know this is nothing compared to the 2 of you, but at least you understand the obsession! ;)

A trip to the happiest place on earth is not a liesurly vacation for my family. We get up at 7 to be at the park by 8 when it opens, and we stay until midnight when it closes. We make sure that we hit every ride at least once, most of them much more than that.

Immediately after Tim crossed the finish line at Ironman and I congratulated him, I headed back home to pack. Then it was up to my parents' house to stay the night and the next morning, we headed to the airport to catch our 7:00 plane. We landed in LA at about 9:45 and were at our hotel right across the street from the park by 11:00. We dropped of our bags and headed to Disneyland to get in line for Pirates of the Caribbean, the first ride we always go on.

Here is Eric and I with my sister and her boyfriend just moments after entering the park. As you can see, I'm looking a bit disheveled. What can I say? I had a pretty busy weekend and I woke up with the puffiest dark circles under my eyes ever! My rule was no pictures for the first day, but my dad just had to snap one!
This year marked the first year that my sister's boyfriend, Matt, came on a vacation with us. They have been dating for the past 3 years, so it was about time! My sister was adamant about watching the fireworks that night. I found this to be odd because I don't think we have ever actually stopped to watch them. Everybody knows that the fireworks show is prime ride time! It happens at the same time as a water show called Fantasmic (which is amazing), so the lines to get on rides are pretty much non-existent. I asked her why she wanted to watch them and she said Matt was just really excited about them. Everything came to light later when...
Matt proposed!!!

I love this last shot because you can see the fireworks in the background. If that's not a fairytale proposal, I don't know what is!

The rest of the trip was fantastic. Like I said, we spent every minute possible in Disneyland or The California Adventure and Eric was sure to check off every attraction as we visited it to keep us on track!

The best ride by far was Toy Story Midway Mania. It sounds like the dumbest thing ever when I try to explain it so if you're really bored, you can watch the YouTube video of it below (sorry it's there twice. I couldn't delete the second one). Basically, you wear 3D glasses and get to shoot at a ton of targets with a little cannon that is in front of you. You compete with everyone and it is seriously the coolest thing ever!




Apparently it had just opened a couple of weeks ago so we waited in line for an hour to ride it. Two days later, we waited in line outside the gates of The California Adventure to get to Toy Story. Eric said, "We're not going to run when the open the gates are we? Aren't we a little old for that?" I said, "You bet your ass we're running!!!" And I did. I got told to stop by one lady, but what was she going to do if I didn't stop? She had to catch me first!! We were in the top 20 people to get on the ride that morning! Boo yah! I told you we're nuts about this place! Here are Eric and I in line.

Other highlights included the new Finding Nemo Submarine ride which is also new. There he is!

Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin

Hanging out on Paradise Pier at The California Adventure


The Grizzly River Run (got really wet on this one!)

My Superman in Toon Town

Riding the Mark Twain Steamboat

As per tradition, we always have lunch at The Blue Bayou on our last day at Disneyland. It is a restaurant located inside Pirates of the Caribbean. The coolest part about this place is that you feel like you are sitting outside on a cool evening when it's really the middle of the day and blistering hot outside!
It's awesome! It's a bit spendy but the food is amazing and you can't beat the atmosphere!

I have to give a huge thank you to my parents who pretty much financed this entire trip! Thanks so much for planning all of it! It was a blast to spend some time with the fam!

You didn't think I left without taking an A+ picture, did you? ;)

13 comments:

Jen said...

I absolutely LOVED reading this post! I know this will shock you, but I've never been to Disney Land! :) Great pictures of the trip! I really want to go on the Finding Nemo Submarine ride!!! So glad you had fun with the fam!
Miss you!
ps. Congrats to your sister! What a proposal! :)

jessithompson said...

Although selfishly it sucked to have you gone in Disneyland, I'm glad that you guys had such a blast. Although I don't totally get your obsession with Disneyland, you are my person and therefore Disneyland has a special place in my heart. LOL! :) I did watch the youtube and it is pretty darn cool although listening to you describe it in person was freaking hilarious. Congrats to your sis - glad you guys had such an amazing time together.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Tiffany!
You have a perfect Disneyland personality and I laughed when I read about you racing full speed to get in line ( a very practical day-to-day use of your running training :))

It's so great to have fun family traditions...and how awesome to have your sis get engaged when the family was there to help celebrate!

Blessings and hugs!
Love Linda

Andy said...

I want to go back! One of these days we will all have to go together. That would be a BLAST! (Much like the MaliBoomer).

Congrats to your sis. She and I should get together and share Disneyland proposal stories. Come on, you really think Tim would have proposed anywhere else?!?

Trish said...

Oh, baby! It looks like your trip was AWESOME! I too, absolutely LOVE Disneyland and have been probably 10 times in my life. Hands down, it truly is the happiest place on earth! (Even for adults!) I am so glad that you guys had a blast! What a cool family vacation :) Also, congrats to your sister! The picture with the fireworks in the background is amazing!

shelly said...

I have not really found many who have the same kind of affinity for Disneyland as I do. So happy to read your blog and you running to the new ride! That would be me! Looks like fun! Maybe one year T and I will join you guys! He loves it too! I am excited you got to go and enjoy it after all your hard work! Much love!

Tim Swanson said...

Your future brother-in-law is a GENIUS!!! :) So very cool

Glad to hear you had an awesome time (as if I would have expected any different), but I am wicked jealous that you got to do the Toy Story Midway Mania before I did! I am going back tomorrow :)

I agree with Andy, we should all go together sometime, and have races to attractions at park opening, complete with timing, splits, awards, etc.

The pict of you on the subs is absolutely priceless!! And nice take on the A+....LOVE IT!!! :)

Ali Ty Stitt said...

FUN BLOG! NOW I WANT TO GO TO DISNEYLAND! Cool proposal...fairytale to remember! love the pictures... especially the BIG A+ cool chica! Loves

Kim said...

Disneyland...really there is no age limit. I love the place too! What a great vacation. Cute pics of you and your hubby sis.
Tom proposed to me while we were in Idaho on a secluded river fly fishing...for him that is "Disneyland". Congrats to your sis! I wonder who the wedding planner will be!
XOXO

Steve said...

I do not have the whole DISNEYLAND bug but I think it would be an awesome trip to go with you and Tim. I think I would have more fun watching you all.

Glad the trip went well.

Anonymous said...

What a neat opportunity to spend time with your family. It doesn't get any better than the Happiest Place on Earth. I am glad to hear you had such a blast and congrats to your sister too!

Katey

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had an absolute BLAST!

I have only been to Disneyland once, back when I was 20 years old. Back then we rode on REAL dinosaurs. There was no capital A because the alphabet hadn't been invented yet. Ah well, I still have good memories. The truth, Prirates of the Caribbean was brand new!

You are so lucky to be able to travel with your whole family. What a blessing!!! SO cool about the marriage proposal. Now THAT'S romantic.

XOXO
Leni

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, the trip was so great. Dad and I loved every mintue of it being with the whole family. Except for my feet I think I'm getting to old to walk from 8:00 in the morning till 12:00 for 4days. we really had a wonderful time wtih my to daughters and Eric and Matt. Can't wait to go on another trip with the family.Maybe to Hawaii? Love you Mom Can't wait to start planning the wedding with Kristina and you. That will be lots of fun. love you