September 16, 2008

Back to the Gym

Don't you just cringe when you hear those words? After an awesome summer of doing all of my workouts outside, the gym is the LAST place I want to be, especially since it's still so nice out. However, my coach says it's time for strength training so off I go. Let's be completely honest here, there is no way I would do this if I had to do it alone. I think I did it by myself twice last year and it was sheer torture. Thank goodness Jessi and I go together. The only way to get through something that sucks is to make it fun, and I think we're pretty good at that.

We headed into the room with the camera of course. We brought in "big balls" as Jessi calls them, hand weights, and MRSA balls (aka medicine balls). We are lucky (is that the right word?) that Ben has some awesome strength training workouts on his website. Click here to check it out. You can look through the archives to find the workouts. Although I'm sure if he ever sees this post, he's going to want to pay us to be on the videos demonstrating the exercizes because let me tell you, we are pros! ;) Let me show you...

The first exercise was the chest press on the ball. After clarifying with Jessi that this would not shrink the size of my already modest chest, we proceeded.
As you can see, my form is perfect. We then moved on to the Romanian Dead Lift Row (or something like that). Jessi like this one because it's Romanian, implying that we might just be gymnasts, and it says "dead" which implies that it's hard, therefore making us hard core.

Here's what it looks like from a different angle.



Next, we had to do squats with one leg on the ball. Jessi said Ben's leg was on a bench, but the balls should be just fine. Here she is attempting it.
Nice try, Jess! Here's me stating the obvious: "I'm so awesome at this!"
We ended with the MRSA ball around the world. It looks a little something like this.


We also did some overhead press thing, but I didn't get any pics of that.

Always remember to thank your muscles after a hard work out. They deserve it!

My favorite part of this entire work out was the other lady who was in the room. When we first came in and were cracking up and making fun of eachother, she said, "Are you guys sisters?" We get asked this so often that now we just say yes. A bit later she goes, "Are you twins? I can't tell from here." Jessi goes, "We sure are! How perceptive of you." She said, "I'm a twin too! I could just tell from your interaction that you must be twins!" LOL! Love it!

As suspected, this work out was a blast. Looking forward to many more...not necessarily the soreness that comes with it though! Thank goodness for RecoverEase!

15 comments:

EM :) said...

You better GET AFTER IT with those weights!!! Great workout!!!!! Too funny bout the twin comment! :) You guys sound like fabulous workout partners for each other!
KEEP IT UP!!!!!!! Of course you know crosstraining & weights will only add to your bad-ass "tri" times!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim said...

Great pics. You guys crack me up. As your tech friend I need to let you know the "Click" here isn't actually linked. Just for those of us who want to go to Ben's. :-) I'm such a geek!

You guys are the cutest twins I know!

Trish said...

I think Ben should TOTALLY put you two in his next workout video! You ladies are freakin' awesome! Glad you guys have smiles on your faces as you head back to the dreaded gym. I am going to head back one of these days...

Way to go on kicking some major weight lifting ass! XOXO

Tiffany said...

Kim, I just clicked on the link and it worked. Hope it's working for the rest of you!

Steve said...

Good work but seriously how do you actually stay focused? I could only imagine how much time is spent lying on the floor laughing. I bet you guys don't even have to do ab workouts:) Keep up the hard work!

jessithompson said...

The only part that is missing is the part where you're getting the big black balls off of the rack and proceed to lose hold of one of them. It goes tumbling down the ramp and hits this guy who is trying to do the side plank (which is a notoriously miserable exercise). Not only was this funny, but the best part was how we simultaneously (and without discussing it) decided that he actually liked it because we are obviously so cute! LOL!

I love these workouts because they are tough but loads of fun too... you are the best workout partner a girl could ask for. I love our gym tradition! XOXO

jessithompson said...

p.s. The link works, just click on the word "here"

Amy Byrd said...

Burn, baby burn! Gotta love the gym! Cute pics!
Bebe

Michael W. Bergquist said...

It's been a while since I've had enough computer time to read. Looks like I picked up right where you left off with everything being hillarious. I couldn't help but to notice how empty the gym was and also how nice it was. Keep up the good work. Great pics.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you two are having a great time. I tried clicking on "here" and it still doesn't work. What is up with that?

Ciao,
Katey

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Plain and simple...you two are a riot! You make everything fun and funn...whether it is at school or working out!

Love Linda

Anonymous said...

Tiffany you and jessie looked really good. It looks like me on my Ball He He. No I wish I had a buddy like you. But that's ok. The gym looks great. Have good day Love you lots mom

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

You are having waaayyy to much fun at the gym. Because everyone who’s anyone knows that you can't be getting a good workout in if you are having that much fun! ;) Oh wait…that’s when you get the best workouts in? Ok I got it now. If you want an even harder workout, just try and get my fender in the gym! That would be a true testament to your hard-coreness.

On a side note, it is very cool to have someone that you can get in great workouts with WHILE laughing your bootie off.

Kelli

LORIE said...

You two are funny. I bet your asses are even hotter now! So jealous. :-). I am glad you have "that person"! You two are blessed.

Angie said...

You looked like you had a rockin workout! Your workouts are right up my alley, all the hard, fun core strength moves. Very fun. Keep up your hard work, you will see great results!