October 8, 2009

Green Beach

Yesterday, we decided to make the trek to Green Beach. The sand is actually green because there are olivine crystals in it from volcanoes. Pretty cool. We heard you could drive pretty close, but after that you either needed a 4 wheel drive or some shoes for the 2 mile hike that gets you there. We had no idea what was in store for us. Luckily, we ran into a local, Ted, who we were able to snag a ride with. Yes, I had to ride in the back of a truck with not one, but two dogs, but it was so worth it! I have no idea how we would have found the beach without Ted. In fact, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have made it!

Greg and Nat rented a Jeep so they were good to go, although it was a bit precarious at times!


This place was truly incredible. The waves were awesome and we had a blast riding them all day. This is one of two green sand beaches in the entire world!





Unfortunately, my camera did not do justice to how green this sand was! Believe me, it almost looked like there was algae all over it!

Eric's cliff jump!


As we were having the group pic above taken, we noticed that Ted was packing up! I sprinted to grab my camera and yelled to Ted that we'd be happy to pay him for a ride back. He said ok so we all hurried to pack up our stuff. None of us wanted to hike through the 90 degree, humid dessert that was the only way back to our cars and civilization! Here are some pics from the way back where I was lucky enough to snag a ride in the cabin.

Here's Ted, our savior! He lives in the middle of nowhere with no electricity. He charges batteries with solar panels. He also visits Green Beach at least 3 times a week, but he's sick of how touristy it's getting. He has found a new beach, location undisclosed, that he is going to start going to as soon as he's done building the boat he needs to get to it!

What an adventure!

3 comments:

Amy Byrd said...

What fun memories you are creating with such great friends in that magical place! I've never been to the green sand beach...going to have check it out next time. Hopefully Ted will still be there. Hang Loose!
Bebe

Anonymous said...

How much fun was that. Eric did he have fun jumping off the cliff? I would have die if you did that. I just can"t believe how pretty it is over there. Dadddy just laughed at the DOGS with you. Love you MOM

Steve said...

I am wondering if it is lame to say it again. WHAT A DAY!!! This day could have been horrible but with TED it was yet again, an awesome day with better people.