March 7, 2011

Aiden's Nursery

We've finally put the finishing touches on the nursery so here are the pictures I promised. We had two projects we decided to do ourselves for Aiden's room. The first was to build a set of shelves that I actually saw in County Living Magazine in December. The directions were to buy a couple different sizes of the large tubes that are used to pour concrete in and then cut them to your desired length. Eric used his table saw to do this.

Then, you cut contact paper to put on the outside of them. We chose the wood contact paper.

After that, you attach all of them using nuts and bolts. Here's the finished product.
Pretty cool, huh? I have to give almost all of the credit to Eric. After putting contact paper on about two of these things, I was over it. It was a great reminder of why I'm not a huge fan of do-it-yourself projects. Eric, however, loves them. Thank god I married such a handyman!

Our second project was to stencil elephants on the walls. My self proclaimed creative problem solver of a husband decided it would be a piece of cake to make our own stencil. He took a picture of one of the elephants on Aiden's bedding and then we blew it up and took it to my classroom where we could project it. We traced the elephant onto some butcher paper, and then cut it out so that we were left with a stencil.

Next, we hung the stencil on the wall, and Eric simply painted from the paper down onto the wall. I will be the first to admit, I was a critic from the beginning. I did not think Eric's plan was going to work. I was also happy to admit how wrong I was! The elephants turned out amazing!
Even Julia got in on the fun!

One of my favorite parts of watching Eric work is when he sits back and enjoys the finished product. Nice work, Daddy!

Here are the rest of the shots of the nursery.
Now all that's missing is the baby. My due date is one week from today, so I'm hoping he'll be here sometime next week! We can't wait to meet our son!

15 comments:

Emilie said...

The room looks FADORABLE! Aiden is so lucky to have such awesome parents. I am so excited for you to be able to meet your son...it's truly the BEST thing in the WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD to be able to meet and snuggle with your baby!!!

jessithompson said...

You guys are amazing! The nursery is so freaking cute, I can hardly stand it! Aiden will not get it for a loooong time what a lucky little boy he is to be born into a family who loves him so much already.

Can't wait to meet him in person and love on him like craaaazay!

Love you all, tons! xoxoxo COME TO AUNTIE!!!!!!!

Kim said...

Okay, love the circular shelving. So unique and fun. The nursery is by far out of this world. I'm sorry I haven't been able to share in much fun with this new peanut to be but I do promise a meal and a visit to this very loved baby. Thinking of you! xoxo

Carina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carina said...

SO CUTE! I am so impressed with Eric's and YOUR creativity in the nursery~ It all came together so well! Admittedly, I did get the giggles looking at all the elephants and thinking about Gus learning only elephant animal noises.

(sorry, previous comment came through with an old blog ID)

shelly said...

so cute!!! good job!

love you guys and can't wait to meet the little guy!

Steve said...

The room looks awesome!!! It was cool to see it all come together. Just have the little guy already so that it can be used :)

Unknown said...

You guys, this room is wonderful!!!! love the documentation of the process and all the photographs. I can picture it perfectly! BTW elephants are the BEST!

big hugs and lots of love,
sara and ryan

jessme said...

Okay, so I am in love with those shelves. I may have to steal your idea! HOW CUTE! I'm praying that your labor is amazing. Going through such an intense experience with Graham and then getting to meet our little one for the first time is seriously one of the top most romantic life experiences.

Keith and Meghan said...

SO CUTE!!!! I bet Aidan will LOVE IT :)

Robyn said...

Oh my gosh Tiffany this is so precious! I am very impressed with your creativity! Can you two please come redo my room? I haven't seen in so long but I am just so excited for you both- can't wait for baby Aiden!

annie said...

I am so impressed! I want to steal your ideas! You guys did such a great job! Aiden is going to love it!

Anonymous said...

The Babys room is just so cute and Aiden is really going to love the elephants looking at them when he wakes up.. You two aare great.. Love you Mom

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

OK...I am in LOVE with this nursery and that you both worked on it together! The elephant theme is adorable and I love that you painted a few on the walls!

And the shelving is amazing!!
Aiden is so blessed!

Sending loves and hugs as the big day approaches!
Love, Linda

Jen said...

Love Aiden's nursery! Tomorrow is the big day!!! Hugs to you, dear friend! I'll be sending good delivery thoughts your way! XOXO