April 12, 2008

$%@&!!!!!

You can insert whatever swear word you want for the title, but those of you who know me well know exactly what word I have in mind!

So today I was really excited because I woke up to clear blue skies. Perfect weather for my 3 hour ride and 15 minute run. Last week, it was snowing so I had to ride my trainer for 3 hours and it was sheer torture. My ride started out awesome. I had a bunch of new music to listen to and it was so warm out!

About 2 hours and 10 minutes into my ride, I pulled into Skyview Elementary which is just down the road from East Valley High School. It has 2 parking lots. I pulled into the first one and rode through it to turn around and head back. My neck was pretty sore so instead of turning out of the parking lot and heading home, I turned out of the first parking lot so that I could turn into the next one and stretch a bit before finishing my ride. I really don't know what happened next. I must have swung out too wide or something, but before I know it, I hit the curb and fell off my bike. No time to get my shoes out of my pedals. I fell straight onto my left shoulder...hard.

At first, my arm was just hanging there, limp. I thought, "Oh my god, I broke my shoulder!" Then I thought, "I think I would be in much more pain than this if it was broken." I tried moving it a bit and it hurt in some ways but not in others. This is why I don't ever ride without my cell phone. I called my hubby and he headed out to get me. Then my brain started going nuts. Eric calls this going from "zero to 60." It's how he describes how quickly I can go from being normal to completely absurd. Here's a little taste of what was running through my head: "Well, my race season is over. Guess I won't be doing Blue Lake. So much for completing an Olympic. I'm never going to be able to swim again. What if I need surgery?" I called Jessi and she tried her best to put me at ease. I had to laugh when she was telling me I was going to be just fine. She knows I turn into a serious baby in situations like this so she automatically switched into mom mode.

Once Eric picked me up, we gave his dad a call. He is a doctor at Holy Family Hospital. He's been working there for just about as long as it has been in existence. He told Eric to take me to the ER and that he would call ahead to let them know I was coming. If ever I was happy to be a Byrd, it was today! The ER was PACKED. I mean, only like 5 empty chairs in the waiting room. I walked in the door and they already knew who I was. I waited for maybe 5 minutes before I was called back, given a gown, and had x-rays taken.

The x-ray guy gave me some great advice, "Watch out for those curbs!" and we waited for the doctor to come in. He delivered some good news. Nothing is broken. He did some mobility tests on me and said my rotator cuff looks just fine. I have to take a couple of days off of training and ice my shoulder 6 times a day. I'm also wearing a sling. Hot!

While the doctor was talking to us, he asked Eric which of the Byrds he was. Eric said he is the youngest and the doctor said, "Oh, really? I stitched up your ass when you were little!" When Eric was 7, he was playing on some scaffolding that was up for painting the exterior of his house. He decided that it would be so cool to be Spider Man - obviously! He jumped off the scaffolding and a hook on it caught him in the butt and cut the entire bottom of his right butt cheek. The crazy thing is, it didn't tear through his jeans at all! What a perfect Levi's commercial! Anyway, he literally had butt fat hanging out of his butt. I wish it wasn't inappropriate to put a picture of his scar on here. It's pretty gnarly. Obviously, I had to get a pic of Eric with the doctor who saved his ass...literally!
So if my shoulder doesn't feel better mid-week, I'm supposed to consult an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI. Don't worry, I happen to know one of those doctors pretty well too! I guess I'm pretty spoiled in that regard. We were in and out of the ER in an hour today. I'm pretty sure that's some kind of record! When I was walking out, I had to avoid some death stares from people who got there before me and were STILL waiting to be taking back. I felt bad, but hey, I'm a Byrd, what can I say? ;)

I'm pretty frustrated with myself and totally annoyed that I won't be able to run in this gorgeous weather tomorrow. But, I am thrilled that it's only a sprain and not something serious. Hopefully I'll be back to my old self in no time.

I have to give a shout out to my hubby here. I can't get a shirt on or off by myself so he has had to help me out a couple of times today. I can't do my hair either so he's had to learn how to put it up for me. Pretty funny how something so easy for me is so foreign to him. He has been a real trooper and has put up with my whining all day and for that, I love him dearly.

I'll have to start working on a good story to tell at work on Monday when everyone wants to know what happened and why I'm wearing a sling. "Apparently I'm 2 years old and can't ride a bike without running into a curb" is going to cut it. Let me know if you have a better story that makes me sound totally hard core!

12 comments:

Steve said...

TOUGH! That is my word I am going to insert. You are one tough cookie. Sorry about the shoulder but your Injury Report was pretty funny. With all those doctors around they should have you up and running in no time. Do you think if I ever need to hit the emergancy room you could call ahead and I could pass as a Byrd?

Anonymous said...

Oh Tiff...I am so sorry to hear the news :( Thanks for filling me in on all the details about how you selflessly flung yourself AND your bike onto the grass to avoid hitting that lost puppy! You are a true hero in my book :) Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way! XOXO

P.S. Feel free to use that story on Monday if no one else comes up with a better one :)

Anonymous said...

Well, isn't this just great. Here I am worried about getting back on my bike because I might fall. (Remember the permanent scar that is on my right knee from falling so many times last year?)

Of course, my good friend Tiffany has been assuring me all along that I can do it. "You didn't fall THAT much, Leni."

Uh, huh. I KNOW that curbs, rocks, just air for heaven's sake, can cause my bike to go down.

Oh sure... "Just get on, you know that you'll be happy that you did."

Had to give you a bit of crap, honey. I AM going to get on my bike today.

Hope you're back to 100% really soon.

Love ya ta pieces!!

XXOO
Leni

Jen said...

From one injured triathlete to another....remember to take it easy! I'm so glad your injury isn't super serious! Remember, if you need anything (including a little pep talk), I'm here!

I love that Eric helped you do your hair! What a great hubby!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey Thankgoodness you are ok. That almost drove me alittle crazy when you told me but you told me you were ok so I guess I was too. But it was great today hanging out with you all day. So it worked out for the best He He.Love you more than words can say. Love you your crazy Mom.

Steve said...

Here is the story:

You and your friend Pedra were hanging out over the weekend and she had this sweet bike. You asked her if she had taken it off any sweet jumps. You guys set up a jump and after she got like three feet of air it was your turn. When you hit the jump, it broke and you fell hitting your shoulder.

What do you think?

Tiffany said...

I like it, but I say instead of it breaking, I got like 6 feet of air - twice what that slacker Pedra got. I didn't land quite right, and ended up smashing my shoulder. :)

Phaedra Cote said...

T! I just about freaked out when I got on your blog and saw a picture of you, getting your hair washed with a sling on! I'm sorry, I have been a bit out of touch. I read the whole ER story and found it quite hilarious, especially the part about Eric getting his but stitched up. I say throw the picture up! Let's see whatcha got!

I'm glad to hear nothing is broken. We've got some left over training wheels from Hayden's bike if you need to borrow them. those dang curbs-they're everywhere!

I hope you heal quick and get back in gear. You have been working SO hard, I am excited to see you race and reap the benefits!

Sorry I've been absent lately....commenting. Thanks for not forgetting about me. :)

WORD-
Phaedra

Tim Swanson said...

A+, I am also glad to hear that your injury isn't too serious...maybe sometime I'll have to share my crash story. Lets just say that at least you didn't crash in the transition area of a big race :)
If attitude has anything to do w/ healing up (and I am convinced it does), you'll be back on the road in no time!!
Timmers

jessithompson said...

Okay, Timmers - I have to say that you are right on until your last sentence. If attitude has anything to do with healing up that Tiffany would be in a freaking COMA! 0-60 BABY! LOL! :) Seriously, you're a trooper, lady, and I in the middle of this major bummer and pain, I'd like to point out that the fact that you were bummed you couldn't run on Sunday - WHAT?!?! Who are you? ;)

I hope you get better soon, Tim and I will be sending you the saddest pictures if you're not swimming with us on Sunday.

I missed you this weekend!!!!

Anonymous said...

yikes- so glad you are okay!! that is scary, but luckily it sounds like you were in good hands. and if it makes you feel better, i sustained a shoulder injury this weekend too. although mine not nearly as cool as yours...we were painting up at the house this weekend and my dad put the extension ladder facing down on the stairs going to the basement. i went to go downstairs (carrying a tray of paint in one hand and a bucket of paint in the other) and started walking down the stairs...not seeing the ladder at all. i put my right foot in between two of the steps and fell down about five stairs. i had to toss the bucket of paint that was in my right hand so i could break my fall- thus crashing my hand and wrist to the ground and jamming up my right shoulder. luckily i wasn't hurt too bad, but it made the loudest crash ever and there were about 7 people at the house at the time that rushed over to see if i was okay! not to mention the paint bucket got paint all over the carpet in the basement...guess we will be replacing ALL the carpet in the house now...oops! ;) so yeah, i hope that makes you feel better- i would suggest using that story instead, but it isn't a very exciting one!
Glad you are okay!
love you,
Bubba

Anonymous said...

Tiff, I am so sorry to hear about your accident. You have been working so hard. Not just hard, you have been working "times 8". I am thinking of you all the time and so proud of the work you have done. Keep it up...you will be back out there in no time.
Love, KR