April 10, 2008

Skunk Stripes

On Tuesday night, Katey and I decided we would get a ride in after school the next day. I kept my eyes on the weather all day hoping it wouldn't be raining and/or hailing when we started our ride. Katey sent me a couple of emails during the day letting me know that it was hailing on the south hill. Now, I'm not one to ride in bad weather, but every time she tried to get out of the ride, it just made me want to do it even more. Katey pulled through and met up with me. The roads were pretty wet when we started our ride, but at least it wasn't raining!

A couple of minutes into the ride, Katey was cracking up behind me. When I asked her what was so funny, she said it looked like I had crapped my pants. I thought this was because my bike shorts are a bit too big and the butt of them sticks out a bit. I told her she was mean and we kept on going.

A while later, Katey said, "I'm sorry, but you have to see what this looks like!" She pulled in front of me and then I understood. I about died. Obviously, we are not veterans of riding in wet weather as it didn't even occur to us that this would happen! Hilarious.

About 20 minutes into our ride, we hit some hail. I decided to make the most of it and see how many pieces of hail I could catch on my tongue. I only caught two, but one of them hit my tongue pretty hard. I think I must have looked awesome riding with my tongue hanging out! As the cars were passing us, I couldn't help but wonder what the drivers were thinking. Before this year, if I would have seen people riding in these conditions, I would have thought, "Freaking idiots! What did they expect going out in this weather?!" Now I'm one of the freaking idiots! Oh Jessi, what have you done to me?

All in all, we had a great ride. Note that Katey's face is muddy and mine is clean. That's because I lead the entire ride and Katey did all she could to stay on my wheel. Ha! I wish I could say that, but in all fairness to Katey, I will tell the truth. She led just as much of the ride as I did. I just chose to hang back a bit so that I wouldn't get mud on my face and have to re-do my makeup before the Tri Fusion Kids Club launch. See, there's still some girly-girl left in me!

At the end of the ride, my bike was a mess. Yuck! Guess I'll be watching "This Dirty Bike" on Roger's blog for some bike cleaning tips. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Steve said...

Great job and toughing out the conditions. It is ok because we are all idiots. I am not sure where you grew up but those were not skunk strips but skid marks:) Drafting is not fun when it is wet but atleast you didn't have to redo your makeup. hehe.

Michael W. Bergquist said...

That story was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh to end my day on a funny note from the bike shorts being to big to sticking your tongue out and getting pelted with hail ... funny pics too.

Tim Swanson said...

A+, totally hilarious!! Welcome to the little place I like to call "Crazy Town"...you are a full fledged member now! Way to get out there in the less-than-ideal conditions. But...where were you at BLTs??? Can't wait to see ya next week for a non-pool, A+ fest!!
Timmers

jessithompson said...

You are so hard core that at times I hardly recognize you!!! ;)

No seriously, for those of you that didn't know Tiffany prior to her craziness this year, can't even imagine how far she's come since she started this. Getting up early to train? Getting up early to train on the WEEKEND? Training in the cold? In the rain? Training over 10 hours a week? Your name is Tiffany, isn't it?

I know you know it, but I'm proud of you, lady! You are amazing and have really pushed yourself physically as well as out of your comfort zones this year. And of course, you're seeing big payoffs in your ability and strength.

Who's my girl?

B(*&%, YOU BETTA AKS SOMEBODY!!!

Jen said...

I love this post! Your pictures are hilarious! :) I have to echo Jessi's comment! I remember asking you to swim in the morning with me and you saying that there was no way! I still remember meeting at the pool and you saying that this wouldn't be an every week kind of thing! Ha! Now, you wake up early every week and WEEKEND!!! I love that you're so hardcore!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiff, You and Katey looked like you guys had alot fun. From now on the weather should be great SUN SUN we hope. Have good day tomorrow. Love you lots Lynda (Mom) I thought I would put that name in for the heck of it. Love you

Anonymous said...

My god we are hot. I don't know why we don't get more honks and cat calls when we are out and about.

I can't thank you enough for pushing me. As we all know I hate to do anything but run. If it weren't for you I would have been sitting on my couch eating bon bons. Instead, I was out getting dirty and having a great time. You are a true inspiration.
Love you,
Katey