June 2, 2008

Iron Eagle

When I told Jessi I was going to do Iron Eagle this year, her response was, "I think that's great! You won't get to taper for it though. You'll just train right through it for Blue Lake." Um...ok. Train right through it, huh? Definitely not something I have ever done before. Not really something I ever envisioned myself doing to be honest. But I figured, "hey, why the hell not?"

I woke up on Sunday morning with tired legs and pouring rain. Perfect race combo, right? ;) Eric and I packed up my stuff and headed out to EWU to meet up with Jen. We decided to meet pretty early because last year, it was kind of hard to find a transition spot. We certainly didn't run into that problem this year. We were the first people there!

It was fun to set up and chat with all the Tri Fusion members as they arrived. There were quite a few of us there. I took my bike out for a really quick spin. It felt great so I quickly turned around and headed back because my teeth were already chattering and I was wearing pants and a long sleeved bike jersey! I told Jessi I was considering putting the jersey on for the bike. Her response was, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!" Since she is usually, well alright, ALWAYS right about these things, I decided to take her advice. I also decided that I wasn't going to wear socks. It just took too long for me to get them on at my last race!

We all met up at the pool for the pre race meeting and the race began. Just about all of us Tri Fusion members were in the 3rd heat together, so we still had a while before we had to start.
Here we are sporting our Tri Fusion tats. Thanks, Tim!

Feeling a little nervous here.

When it came to our heat, we found out that they had placed way too many people in it so we were going to have to circle swim. Seriously? A+ decided we would swim together. It would be just like Sunday swims and I could draft off of Jessi. Ok, not feeling so bad about that...until Amanda Burquist hopped in with us. Don't get me wrong, Amanda is incredibly sweet, but she is also wicked fast in the pool. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up with her. When it was about time to go, I figured it was rude of me to just assume that Jessi would swim in front of me. Our swim pace is pretty close, so I offered to go in front of her to be considerate. She shocked me by accepting my offer. Oh great! I never thought she would say yes! I was just trying to be nice. So here is my mind set going into the swim. "You need to try and keep up with Amanda for as long as you can." "Don't screw this up or you will screw up the swims of your A+ teammates too! Not to mention the fact that the 2 of them are some of the fastest people here and have a great shot at winning the entire race!!" So I wasn't feeling any pressure at all!!! High fives all around and we were off.
Basically, my swim sucked. Trying to keep up with Amanda was a total joke and I exerted way too much energy in the first 50. From there on out, I felt like crap. Jessi was right on my toes the entire time so there was no slowing down. I had a pretty hard core side ache, but tried my best to just swim through it. Here we are. Note how far ahead of me Amanda is (you can barely see her down on the other end). No drafting for me!
I was so happy when the swim was done and I headed to my bike. I hopped on pretty quick and clipped right in - PHEW! I felt pretty good on the bike. It was absolutely pouring and I could barely see because of all the water on my glasses, but I was never cold. Thank goodness I took Jessi's advice and didn't wear the jersey! I passed quite a few people on the bike which was exciting for me.

It was awesome to see my hubby, my parents, Roger and Emma, Trish's friend, Christina, and Jen's husband, Nick out on the course cheering. Definitely gave me some energy boosts. At about mile 7 my legs were like, "Seriously? Are you really doing this right now?" However the bike was only 10 miles so I refused to shift into an easier gear and rode as hard as I could until the end. When I came into transition, there were 3 people standing right in front of my area. I said, "Excuse me" but I didn't wait for them to move. I think I hit one of them with my bike. Oops!

I really wanted to do well on the run in this race. I have been working on my cadence lately, and I wanted to get it up as fast as I could, especially because I did not do this well at all in my last race. After running up the muddy, gravel hill, I hit the pavement and felt better than I expected to. I accomplished my goal of getting my feet moving pretty quickly and settled in to what I thought felt like a pretty good pace. This run is 3.2 miles long and is pretty hilly. I powered up the hills, though, and the turn around felt like it came a million times faster than last year!

Again, the whole crew was out cheering. I have 2 favorite cheer moments on the run. One is Emma yelling, "Good job Tiffany! You're almost there!" in her sweet little voice. Definitely brought a smile to my face! The second is my mom and dad pulling up next to me in their car. My mom, ever the worrying mother said, "Are you ok? Do you need anything? Are you doing alright?" I could tell she was worried because it was cold and wet outside. This is classic Lynda - always worrying herself to death. I assured her that I was feeling great and kept moving.

At the end of my run, my A+ teammates came out to run me in. Hands down the best part of the race. Their words of encouragement filled me up as I sprinted to the finish. Last year's time: 1:20:45. This year's time: 1:09:43. Boo Yah!!! I was thrilled with the improvement! It landed me in 3rd place in my age group which was 26 to 35 and I was the 5th woman overall! I also averaged 8:20 minute miles! WWWHHHHHAAAATTTT???!!! Obviously Iron Eagle is my new favorite race!

Tim, Jessi and I headed back out onto the course to run Trish in. I could feel that I had some pretty hard core blisters and I almost turned back, but I told Trish I would be there and I certainly didn't want to let her down.

This race was an absolute blast, rain and all. Everyone finished really strong. Congrats to Jessi who was the first woman and to Tim who came in second overall! You guys sure did A+ proud! A huge shout out to Eric and my parents for coming to support me. It means the world to have you guys out there cheering for me. Thank you also to Roger for the awesome pics he got during the race!

Here's what my heels are looking like right about now. They sting like hell, but it was worth it!

13 comments:

jessithompson said...

I am always proud of you, but I was extra excited this race that you were pushing yourself on tired legs... I knew all of those workouts with intervals were paying off when I saw how far up you were. It's so cool to see you surprise yourself! :)

When Eric told me you were the first one there, I had a huge grin on my face... atta girl! You were amazing and I do have to say that you may want to reconsider your whole take on the rain and come to the wet side with me! It's the best!!!

Can't wait to see you at Blue Lake. I know you're nervous (understatement) but I promise you, you're absolutely physically ready for the distance. It's going to a great accomplishment to celebrate with you!!! XOXO Love ya times a million!

P.s. Your parents are turning into true Iron fans out on the course, taking pictures out the windows, and cheering for everyone. They were awesome and I loved seeing them out there. They're awesome!

Trish said...

Tiffany, you rocked this race for sure! Can we just talk for a minute about the top 10 reasons you were hardcore at this race?

10. You were the first one there.
9. You volunteered to draft off of Amanda!
8. You did the race on tired legs.
7. You did the race in the pouring rain (AND lightning!)
6. You talked yourself out of an easier gear on the bike.
5. You ran into people during transition instead of wasting precious time waiting for them to move.
4. You wore NO SOCKS!
3. You ran on monster blisters.
2. You beat your time by 11 minutes!
1. You got 5th woman overall!

You amaze me friend! I am so proud of you and your race! YOU did your team proud. I think it is pretty safe to say that your new racing gear makes you hella fast! Nice race lady! XOXO

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Tiffany!
I am SO excited that this race went so well for you! (and for Jessi) :) :) Way to go! I talked to Jessi last night and got the details about how well you did!!
Sounds like an amazing race for both of you!

Sorry I wasn't there to add to the screaming for you and Jessi..didn't know about it...until after it was over. I'm disappointed as I've been looking for a closer, kinda at home race to see you all "do your stuff"!

Love your guts and determination and running on ugly blisters! YOU ROCK!!

Blessings!
Love Linda

Steve said...

I think you did A+ proud too. Nice work and way to race through your training week. Congrats on the huge time improvement. You are definitely take huge steps forward. Maybe next time if those people don't get out of the way you can try Jessi's dismount technique, I think you would have plenty of room at your next race:) Nice job and way to push hard.

Jen said...

You're amazing! There were so many things I loved reading in your report, but most of all...I loved reading about your run!! It seriously put a huge smile on my face!! Bummer about the blisters, but hooray for feeling incredible on the run! I'm SO proud of you!!!
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Great race report! I could almost feel your pain.

Super time, too. Last year was so hot. This year you had rain. Talk about extremes. Sounds like you just powered on through.

Nice work, girl!

Are you now ready to try flip turns on the bike like Jessi? I mean, anyone who tries to swim with Amanda B. should be up for anything, right?

XO
Leni

shelly said...

you are pretty amazing. I love reading about all your adventures with your races. very inspirational. good job!

Anonymous said...

WOW- great job in your race Tiff!! i love all the action shots too!!
you are doing so well, you should take a minute or two (if you can slow down long enough) and pat yourself on the ol' back!
love you and congrats on 5th place...that is excellent!!!
xo,
Bubba

Phaedra Cote said...

T!!! Word UP! You are really coming along and those pictures of you on your new, yellow tri bike are awesome. Look at your hot self in the aero-position!

Way to take a TON of time off from last year....that's amazing to take off that much time from such a short race. That shows tremendous improvement. Love that you got an AG place AND 5th overall!

NICE blisters.....you're so tough.

WORD-
P. Dizzle

Anonymous said...

Hi. Honey Well you did great on the race. Yes I was alittle nervous but you looked wonderful out there. We are so very proud of you for doing this and I can tell you really love it. But you know me I worry about everything dealing with my girls. I guess thats just being a Mom. Keep up the good job and be careful on the next race. We love you alot Mom Oh your poor ankles Keep putting cream on them Ok Love you.....

Tim Swanson said...

Damn, I am so glad I finally got to race with you and watch you totally kick butt. After watching you train, I knew your racing was going to be awesome this year, and, yep, you proved it for me on Sunday! Thanks for dragging me thru the swim...it didn't feel slow to me! :) I am so excited to watch you race at Blue Lake, I can't wait!!
"Somehow", I'm sure that you'll run 8:20s again there too. ha ha ha ha

And I think I'll have you do all the race results for me from now on...I like that you said I was 2nd overall, even though I was 3rd. :)

Amy Byrd said...

Way to go Tiff! I want to be there to cheer you on at one of these. You are a machine....the rain, no socks, volunteering to go first...really??
Love you,
Bebe

Kim said...

You look SOOOO amazing in those bike pics I can barely stand it! Great job chica!

XO
k