I decided to text Tim, just in case he was being a big baby like me. Here's our conversation:
Me: "Um are we still swimming? Are we going to get struck by lightening?"
Tim: "Don't think there is any lightening around, but it's gonna be chilly and windy :) who knows, maybe the water will feel warm! I'm still up for it!"
Me: "OK just making sure. I think I'm just looking for a reason to wuss out!"
Tim: "Don't give me a reason to wuss out, or I will! I need you people to push me to do things I normally wouldn't! That's why I love you people...I think. :) LET'S DO IT!!!"
Me: "Shit! I guess if you are going to be all A+ about it I will have to suck it up!"
After we sent these texts, I was thinking about how Tim's last text is SO true! My dear friends in the club have pushed me so far out of my comfort zone more times than I can count. I have done things I would NEVER have done alone. So, Timmers, thanks for not letting me wuss out! :)
When we got there, it was cold. I jumped out of the car and got my wet suit on in record time (might have had something to do with the temperature).
Me, Tim, and Steve
Then I stood and watched Tim put on his Body Glide. You would think at this point, I might put some on too. I don't think I've ever worn my wet suit without it. Not today though. I think I was a little preoccupied with how cold the water was going to be...I ended up rubbing the back of my neck raw!
We had a couple WTF conversations. How could we not? I love this pic. You have to look closely at our lips. "W...T...F???!!!"
I tested out the water and, as expected, it was chilly.

However, once we got going, it honestly wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I decided to draft off of Tim for a while since he knew where we were going to turn around. A few minutes in, though, I moved to the side. I didn't want to have to go into Blue Lake thinking that I needed to find someone to draft. My plan for this swim was to settle into a comfortable rhythm and go with it because that is what I want to do at Blue Lake. I think I did a pretty good job of it. I felt strong and like I was moving at a pretty good pace.

However, once we got going, it honestly wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I decided to draft off of Tim for a while since he knew where we were going to turn around. A few minutes in, though, I moved to the side. I didn't want to have to go into Blue Lake thinking that I needed to find someone to draft. My plan for this swim was to settle into a comfortable rhythm and go with it because that is what I want to do at Blue Lake. I think I did a pretty good job of it. I felt strong and like I was moving at a pretty good pace.
Here we are about ready to turn around...yes!

We hit some waves on the way back. Great. Maybe this wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. I had to laugh at how hard I have worked to keep one eye in the water when breathing in the pool. Why was I spending so much time on that? When I'm in a lake with waves like this, I might as well just roll onto my back to breathe! The waves didn't last for too long, though, and I settled back into a comfortable rhythm.
I think my hair in my swim cap makes me resemble a shark, don't you? Everyone is going to be so scared of me at Blue Lake! ;)
We all made it back in one piece. I was pretty proud of myself. Steve jumped out of the water and started taking off his wet suit. If his bike would have been on the beach, he would have been gone in a flash! Then, Tim gets this crazy idea to practice his dolphin entry (I don't know the technical name for this) into the water. I was sure to give him an "EEEEEE EEEEEEE EEEEEE!" as he went for it!
I had a blast at this swim and I'm so glad to have it under my belt. I feel much better at spotting this year and I can even swim in a pretty straight line! That's a BIG improvement from last year! Thanks to everyone who showed up and didn't let me wuss out!
A special thanks to Ali who kayaked beside us and took some awesome pics!

I think my hair in my swim cap makes me resemble a shark, don't you? Everyone is going to be so scared of me at Blue Lake! ;)
We all made it back in one piece. I was pretty proud of myself. Steve jumped out of the water and started taking off his wet suit. If his bike would have been on the beach, he would have been gone in a flash! Then, Tim gets this crazy idea to practice his dolphin entry (I don't know the technical name for this) into the water. I was sure to give him an "EEEEEE EEEEEEE EEEEEE!" as he went for it!I had a blast at this swim and I'm so glad to have it under my belt. I feel much better at spotting this year and I can even swim in a pretty straight line! That's a BIG improvement from last year! Thanks to everyone who showed up and didn't let me wuss out!
A special thanks to Ali who kayaked beside us and took some awesome pics!

14 comments:
You are DEDICATED! I am pretty sure the only way I would get in that water is if it was mid-August. By the way you do look like a shark, I'm sure people will be scared!
Way to go lady! How fun you have such great people to experience all this with.
Bebe
Tiff- is there no limit of your hard core-ness? Good grief woman you are amazing!
Let me know when I could take you to Loon Lake and show you my buoy route!
Good luck this weekend! I just know you'll do great!
Tiff, you are amazing...I'm so happy to be on your team! Glad that someone got some pictures of you swimming away from us rapidly. Cause now I can see that, yeah, you kinda do look like a shark. Not like I ever would have seen that in the water, cause you are too darn fast! :)
Thanks for not mentioning that the reason you didn't want to draft off me was because I can't swim a straight line to save my life! You are too sweet
I seriously cannot wait to watch you race this weekend, I am so excited!! You are going to kick ass...not only are you one fast swimmer, but you are damn tough for suffering through so many crappy-weather workouts.
Thanks for the swim...Timmers
the WTF picture is hillarious...love it!
xo,
Bubba
Hay I volunteer for any future Kayaking while you swim...I can't guarantee any awesome pics...nor can I guarantee you a watchful eye for any possible drowners...but nonetheless...I volunteer. Shoot...bring eric...the inflatable kayak we got is a two person!!
tt
ROTFLMAO Um... the WTF picture is about the funniest one I have ever seen in my life. I think it's a framer FOR SURE!!!
You guys are beyond awesome... can't wait for this weekend!
Good for you!!
We saw that wind at the same time at school, and it wouldn't have shocked me if you HAD backed out of the swim.
I envisioned huge white caps on the water. Happy that that wasn't the case. Still... you are The Totally Awesome.
Look out Blue Lake! She's comin'!
XO
Leni
I still remember the email from Tim making sure that I don't let you change my mind on the swim. It was an awesome workout and I really think it was good to get out in the crappy weather.
You are one heck of a swimmer and way to blow us all out of the water on the way back. Thanks again for giving me a ride out there and the next swim will me even better.
Way to go lady! I love the pictures and the commentary leading up to the swim :) As noted, you neglected to post how AMAZING your swim was! I LOVE that you called me to tell me all about it when you got done! You know you are hard core when you spend a Friday evening swimming in Medical Lake in freezing weather on a cloudy and potentially rainy day! Sad I missed it, but I'm glad you showed those boys who's boss!
Funny thing...by looking at the picture of Ali, you'd never guess it was windy! Makes us look like a bunch of wusses....
You are crazy fast in that water and now you ain't scare of nothin'! Even crazy cold water. I wanna swim like you when I grow up!
ROCK ON!
P.
You're awesome! Glad to be out there...next time I'll join you in the water! good luck this weekend...can't wait to hear about everyone swimming away from the "shark" !! I love the WTF picture too.. CREATIVE! :)
OK "SHARK LADY"...give 'em heck at Blue Lake!! You will do awesome!
Love, Linda
Hey there T-Bird. You're hillarious as usual. Sounds like a fun time. I get a bit tired of battling those waves of Medical Lake. Thanks for responding to my blog storries. I've been away from home for almost three weeks, so it's nice to get a message from back home. Good luck at Blue Lake.
Post a Comment