Guess I'll give you the good news first. PZ thinks that after two visits to the chiropractor, I'll be running pain free. I hope he's right because I haven't been able to do that since July!
Now onto the bad news. I have a torn labrum in my shoulder. Here's a little description for you:
The shoulder joint is a ball and socket joint, similar to the hip; however, the socket of the shoulder joint is extremely shallow, and thus inherently unstable. This means that the bones of the shoulder are not held in place adequately, and therefore extra support is needed.
To compensate for the shallow socket, the shoulder joint has a cuff of cartilage called a labrum that forms a cup for the end of the arm bone (humerus) to move within. The labrum circles the shallow shoulder socket (the glenoid) to make the socket deeper. This cuff of cartilage makes the shoulder joint much more stable, and allows for a very wide range of movements (in fact, the range of movements your shoulder can make far exceeds any other joint in the body).
The labrum is made of a thick tissue that is susceptible to injury with trauma to the shoulder joint. When a patient sustains a shoulder injury, it is possible that the patient has a labral tear. That's me! Here's a pic.
The cure? Well, he gave me some exercizes I can do to help it. He also said I shouldn't do anything that causes it to hurt. That means no more yoga for me. Luckily I can swim pain free. He said I can make it through the next racing season just fine, but after that, I have to schedule surgery.
Several new techniques allow surgeons to place “anchors” into the bone (yes, into the freaking bone!!!) around the shoulder joint and reattach the labrum using the arthroscope. There are many variations of these anchors, but most are drilled into the bone and have sutures (stitches) attached that are then used to tie the labrum down to the bone and enable the labrum to heal back in the appropriate position.
This kind of makes me want to laugh and vomit at the same time. I laugh because the thought of me having to have a surgery related to a sports injury is hysterical to me. You have to remember I have never played any sports aside from volleyball in junior high! The only surgery I have ever had was when I had my wisdom teeth removed and it was the worst experience of my life thus far. It makes me want to vomit because my pain tolerance is negative 10 so this is going to be interesting. The recover is 3 to 4 months. Awesome. Enough said.
I think the worst part about all of this is that it is all happening because I'm a complete idiot and can't ride my bike into a parking lot without hitting a curb! Unbelievable!! Seriously, am I 28 or 82? Sometimes I wonder...
8 comments:
First of all Dr. Lil' B,
I am glad to hear that your knee pain can be healed. It is a rather easy and pain-free fix.
I am sorry about the shoulder. Atleast you know what the problem is and can get it fixed. I hope that you can keep swimming cause it just won't be the same without ya.
Hang in there A+!!!
It will all work out! I'm so glad that your knee will be fine!! Your shoulder will too...it will just take a little time! Your swimming won't suffer at all...you're amazing at it!
Love ya and Merry Christmas!
Hi Honey I really hope your knee gets alot better and about the crazy shoulder I know everything will be ok. and of course I'll be there for you all the time . You know me. Thanksgoodnes its not to bad I hope it isn't. Love hearing the songs on the blog its great. Love you lots Mom
So...bike crash in April, it's now December and you're finally getting things looked at? What are you Wonder Woman! Good grief lady! Good luck with your stretches...I might recommend a little acupuncture!
XO
k
First let me say that I think Brian Mather is a GOD and if it can be fixed with chiro, he's your guy. I'm excited at the thought that you will experience some relief and pain-free running.
Next, the shoulder thing. This sucks. I regret beyond words that you are having to go through this... but I'll be there to take care of your whiny ass ;). I also want to point out that I think you are incredibly more 'bad ass' then you were before... so maybe (believe me, I'm NOT holding my breath) you'll just surprise us all with your new found pain tolerance.
I love you times a million and hate that you've been hurt at all. I know it isn't much consolation, but I swear when you look back at it all, it'll be just a bump in road.
For now... let's just focus on the knee and celebrate any improvement there... otherwise you'll be having diarrhea until the surgery! LOL!
Thank you for that very detailed description. Very informative! I'm sorry that you have a "sports injury"....um, is curb hopping a sport? LOL. Sorry. Seriously, I am. But whether you like it or not, you are an athlete my dear..and a great one to boot! You just need to train more on "curb meandering".
The upside is that you can plan WAY ahead to have this surgery. I say you cut the season a little short and have it done at the beginning of August. That way, you can recover without having to work and you still have plenty of opportunity to race early in the season.....but that's just me :)
You crack me up.
P.
Get well Soon
Michelle
Interesting description. It kind of reminds me of Robin Hood Men in Tights how you deliver bad news in a good way (funny in your case). I really appreciate your humor and suspect that you're tougher than you let on. At least a neg 5. Enjoy the racing season. Happy New Year.
Post a Comment