March 15, 2008

Who needs toes anyway?

Katey and I met up this morning for a ride. She called me right before she was leaving her house to let me know it was snowing on the south hill. It wasn't snowing at my house, so we decided to risk being rained/snowed on and rode anyway. (Side note here: Last Year Tiffany would NEVER have ridden outside in this weather!)

When we were finally dressed and ready to go, we looked like 2 kids whose moms have just dressed them to go and play in the snow. Here is Katey all bundled up. Hilarious! Not that I looked any better. I wore the heaviest pair of socks I own which just happen to be pink with white polka dots! I'm sure any bikers we passed on our ride had a good laugh at us!

We headed out on the Centennial Trail. I'm not going to lie, it was freaking freezing. My fingers and toes were numb within the first few minutes. My fingers warmed up pretty quickly, and so did the rest of my body...besides my toes that is. When we were about 45 minutes out, we decided to turn back. Katey was literally crying out in pain because her toes hurt so bad. I'm cracking up picturing us right now! I have to share the visual image I had in my head of my poor toes. I could see myself getting home, taking off my socks and seeing bright blue feet. I was pretty sure all I would have to do is flick one of my toes and it would fall right off! Of course there was a head wind the entire way back. Katey and I took turns drafting off of one another. When we finally reached our cars, we were overjoyed. We decided we might want to buy some shoe covers - ya think?! Add it to the never ending list of things needed in this sport!
Katey, I can't thank you enough for riding with me today! It is so much better than being alone!

No, I didn't skimp on my work out today by only riding for 1:30. I went home with my freezing toes and hopped on my trainer for another hour which sucked after being outside but it warmed my toes right up! Then I headed out for a 20 minute run which felt amazing! My bricks get better and better every week. Pretty good feeling!

6 comments:

jessithompson said...

So, as I'm reading this post, I'm wondering to myself... is she hard core enough to go home and finish out the ride on her trainer... DAMN! That's my girl!

You are hard core, lady. I'm proud of you and yes, you definitely need shoe covers. You'll use them a ton in the spring and fall. You might try checking ebay for a good deal.

Way to go, ladies. YOU ARE TOUGH!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! Tiffany, you and Katey are taking "hard-core" to the next level! I am so freakin' proud of you girls for riding today! I am still at the point where I am not QUITE ready to ride when it is so cold. (aka: your mindset last year...so you knever know where I will be this time next year!)

The outfits were classic and I now have a clear mental image in my mind of your bright blue toes :) Great post and even greater workout day for you! Keep it up friend!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Tiffany-
Has anyone told you lately that you
are an ANIMAL!!

Oh my gosh! Talk about raw courage!
You rock! Love Linda

Steve said...

Great job on the workout. I second your frozen toes, as I was in the exact same place after our ride out on the northside. Great job getting back on the trainer. Thats pretty awesome.

Kim said...

So just let me know when you're doing the Iron Man so I can get the support crew coordinated! You are amazing! I don't even know what shoe covers are...something else we need huh? :-)

Love ya!

Tim Swanson said...

A+, whoa!!! You are a stud! I am so proud of what you are doing...you are an inspiration! Pain and discomfort are (as I've come to realize the hard way) just part of the whole cycling thing. Its just learning how to manage it. And it certainly sounds like you are climbing that mountain with no problems! Keep up the awesome work!! You are A+ all the way

Timmers